Blackburn Clinic would like to make our patients aware of a local service (based in Blackburn) called BrainLink, that is dedicated to supporting the Carers of people affected by acquired disorders of the brain. Long term patients of Blackburn Clinic will remember Dr John O’Sullivan, who was a doctor here for 37 years and is now on the Board of BrainLink. Blackburn Clinic is proud to be associated with such a valuable service.
BrainLink’s first priority is to respond to the immediate needs of the Carers, families and friends of those who are living with an acquired brain disorder.
What is acquired brain disorder?
Acquired brain disorder is caused by conditions including stroke, head injury, brain tumours and progressive neurological diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, Muscular Dystrophy, Motor Neurone disease and Huntington’s disease. If you care for a person with such a condition, BrainLink can help you.
How can BrainLink help?
- A first point of call for families at onset of diagnosis;
- Education support programs for carers and families, including self-care strategies for Carers;
- Innovative and flexible respite opportunities;
- Specialised case management for individuals with severe brain disorders;
- Comprehensive information and resources, and strategies for coping with physical or behaviour changes;
- A road map of the disability services sector and how to negotiate the maze;
- Strategies for coping with the grief and loss that comes from changed relationships.
Caring is a critical job that is often difficult and lonely. Carers need specialized knowledge, skills and assistance. Our programs provide a chance for you to meet with others in a similar situation and to develop support networks so that you no longer have to cope alone.
Scheduling breaks from your care-giving responsibilities isn’t being selfish. Your loved one needs you to be at your best so you can consistently provide high- quality care at home. The best part of attending a BrainLink getaway is that respite can be arranged if required; and if you have not used respite before, we are happy to discuss your options with you.
BrainLink has experienced staff who can provide you with information, resources and suggestions about your situation either over the phone, email or face to face.
What does it cost?
BrainLink services are FREE.
Phone TOLLFREE: 1800 677 579
OR contact Karen Jorgensen,
Client Services Manager, Phone: 9845 2956